2023 Café Retail Network Report – India
We are pleased to share our first annual Retail Network Report for India’s Cafe sector.
GapMaps provides unique insights and key trends into the changing competitive landscape of the Cafe sector. Our report tracks 9 of India’s leading brands, tracking store counts and brand penetration across all city tiers.
Further in-depth analysis can be undertaken within the GapMaps Live platform, updated quarterly to provide the latest view of Cafe store locations across all tracked brands.
0Key Location Insights into India’s Café Industry
- After analysing the latest datasets in GapMaps Live, we have discovered that the 9 brands operate close to 1,800 locations across India.
- Of these tracked brands, Café Coffee Day remains the largest store network with over 400 locations, despite up to 1,000 store closures over the past three years.
- Barista has the second largest store network with 350 locations, closely followed by Starbucks with 340 locations. Chaayos and Theobroma also have sizeable store networks each with over 150 locations.
- The top three brands all have store networks in the majority of the 26 cities with over 20 Lakh residents. However, within smaller cities, their store networks are more limited with stores in around half of the 49 Tier 1c cities (cities within 10-20 Lakh residents) and only 20% of the 75 Tier 2 cities (5 Lakh to 10 Lakh residents).
- In cities with less than 5 Lakh residents, store networks for the assessed brands are limited. Typically these smaller cities only have stores where there is another key driver of sales outside of the local residents (e.g. a major passing highway, a tourist precinct, or a satellite/commuter city).
If you have a GapMaps Live subscription, you can login to get the latest view of competitors and reference brand locations across India to help you make faster, smarter and more surer decisions.